The industry’s first biotechnology-derived reduced-lignin alfalfa trait provides greater harvest flexibility and overall alfalfa quality.
HarvXtra® alfalfa is the industry’s first genetically-enhanced reduced-lignin alfalfa. This technology gives growers unprecedented control by widening cutting windows and giving the choice to maintain the current harvest schedule for higher-quality forage or delay harvest for increased tonnage without sacrificing quality. It is the most advanced alfalfa in the industry and provides a significant edge in your field.
- Genetically enhanced HarvXtra® alfalfa changes the correlation between forage quality and stage of maturity by modifying lignin content beyond what is possible with conventional breeding techniques.
- In a 2015 trial, lignin content in HarvXtra® alfalfa was more than 20 percent lower, and NDFD was 15-20 percent higher than any of the commercial check varieties at the last sampling date.
- In addition to maintaining forage quality over a longer period, this alfalfa variety is also Roundup Ready®, giving growers the enhanced broad-spectrum weed control they expect from the Roundup® system.
HopperShield™ Potato Leafhopper-Resistance
Our HopperShield™ varieties provide industry-leading PLH resistance for top yield and quality under various levels of leafhopper pressure.
W-L potato leafhopper—resistant alfalfa varieties are a clear choice for growers who want to minimize the impact of this damaging insect. Many farmers rely on these varieties because of convenience and agronomic performance, even under heavy leafhopper infestations.
- Producers in regions of high leafhopper pressure can expect higher yields, better forage quality and reduced insecticide cost when they use our newest leafhopper-resistant varieties.
- W-L HopperShield™ alfalfas can now offer more than 85 percent resistance to this harmful pest.
- An Iowa State University study showed that the economic spray threshold (the point at which leafhopper infestation is high enough that spraying makes financial sense) is 10 times higher than that of nonresistant varieties.
The first high-performance alfalfa breeding system specifically designed to increase milk production.
W-L Alfalfa’s high-quality line is an ideal choice for growers looking to increase milk production and reduce feed costs for high-producing dairy and beef cows. We’re using proven quality screening technologies to produce some of the highest-yielding and persistent alfalfa varieties available.
- The HQ breeding program began with the use of a first-generation NIRS (near infrared reflectance) machine to scan alfalfa for protein and fiber characteristics.
- Our biggest quality-selection breakthrough came when we began using in vitro true digestibility measurement techniques to closely mimic the actual digestibility of different varieties when fed to dairy of beef herds.
- We continue to run thousands of digestibility evaluations each year, and breakthroughs in areas such as greater fiber digestibility, energy content and improved bypass protein characteristics ensure that we keep improving on an already superior source of feed.
Roundup Ready Alfalfa
Roundup Ready® alfalfa varieties allow growers to maximize the genetic potential of their W-L Alfalfa during critical stand establishment and stand life.
Roundup Ready® alfalfa varieties offer high yield, exemplary feed value and outstanding tolerance to Roundup® nonselective herbicide. This technology lets growers improve broad-spectrum weed control, maximize alfalfa production and maintaining excellent crop safety at all growth stages.
- The improved weed control and enhanced crop safety gained with the Roundup Ready® system allows most growers to report a strong establishment year advantage in quality and yield potential.
- Roundup Ready® alfalfa is a great technology to control a variety of weeds and maximize yield potential in new or established stands to provide clean, consistent feed